It may be difficult for an untrained individual to differentiate when you have gone from having a natural, trauma response, that will eventually run its course vs. when treatment may be necessary. Ask yourself questions such as:
- Have loved ones told me that I've changed? Perhaps that I am more distant or irritable than I once was?
- Do the slightest things seem to bother me more than they used to?
- Do I lack interest in doing activities that I used to think were fun?
- Am I drinking more, or more often than I plan to?
- Am I missing work, or having trouble concentrating on activities?
- Am I more withdrawn from others?
- Am I having nightmares or trouble sleeping?
- Do I feel like I'm just not myself?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions, you could benefit from talking with a therapist, and working on how you can get to where (and who) you want to be. Remember, you are not alone. And you are worth seeking help.